Latest Posts

Topic: scout ships

Ron_of_Nord
Topic Opener
Version: 1.2rc1
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2024-04-20, 23:07

Hi again, Whilst I was thinking about add ons a thought occured to me, how about scout ships. Small boats that can scout the seas, report port spaces without actually building them and generally being little spy vessels on enemy areas? Land scouts are very useful but are , well, limited to land areas, as they should be,but a small fast ship zipping around gathering intel could add a new dimension to both game play and diplomacy (imagine an enemy trying to hide assets near coast) Well its just a thought... Ron

The aussies are coming, ya ho! ya ho!

Top Quote
tothxa
Version: some new PR I'm testing
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2024-04-21, 02:10

IMO we should implement an automatic/random scouting mode without stopping at port spaces for expeditions and warships, but not another ship type.

Top Quote
Ron_of_Nord
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2024-04-21, 03:59

Actually, I agree, and it would make more sense after thinking more about it. I wasnt sure how a scout ship type would work but a randomized scouting mode for existing ships would be a much better idea. When I get a moment, i will have a look at the code that drives ships ,I am not one of the developers, but it may give some insight on how a random or even a general direction scouting mode might work.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2024-04-21, 20:45

Ron_of_Nord wrote: When I get a moment, i will have a look at the code that drives ships ,I am not one of the developers, but it may give some insight on how a random or even a general direction scouting mode might work.

That would be very appreciated and you might get one of the developers quite easily. Just join us on github or codeberg.

Edited: 2024-04-21, 20:47

Top Quote
Ron_of_Nord
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2024-04-22, 10:22

It may take a while before i get time as my wife and I are in the middle of moving house. Also being the manager of a major wharehouse doesnt always give me the free time I would like, but I will look into this as soon as I can

Top Quote